Thursday 19 May 2011

ancestrality.






recently my aunt scanned and sent forth hundreds of photos of our relatives, past and present. it shocked me to see myself in these people i had never really met or connected with. it can be especially bizarre considering i don't really perceive myself as being indigenous in anyway, admittedly mostly due to the genetic lottery of ending up fair skinned. that begs the question of how you can even conceptualize yourself as an ethnicity? since we've cast off biological determinism long ago, it can't theoretically be based on any skin colour? what had to happen to me when i was a child, what experiences did i have to have, to now consider myself metis or native or french or white? what essence can you be missing that makes you one thing or the other? how important is it to even care? i have a feeling it's tremendously important, but i don't really know why.

No comments:

Post a Comment